05 January 2012

Common phobias

by Marygrace Anderson

We have all seen the list of absurd and ridiculous phobias:
  • Consecotaleophobia – The fear of chopsticks
  • Euphobia - The fear of good news, hearing good news
  • Melophobia - The fear of music
  • Soceraphobia - The fear of parents-in-law
  • Arachibutyrophobia - The fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth
  • Metrophobia - The fear of poetry
  • Olfactophobia - The fear of smells or odours
  • Heliophobia - The fear of the sun or sunlight
There are in fact only two phobias we are born with, fear of loud noises and falling over, which, we believe, are caused by the natural reflexes we experience as babies. This is great news! This actually means you created your own fear and therefore, you can stop it as well!

When I get a call from a client, they will tell me they have a fear of flying. They do not say, I have aerophobia, aviatophobia, aviophobia or pteromerhanophobia. The same applies to people who suffer any fear.

In my personal experience, I have treated a wide range of people with many types of fear: social situations; speaking in public; cats; spiders; performing concerts in public; taking exams; the dark; urinating in public places; loud noises; flying; dating, to name but a few.

The thing is, no fear is ridiculous or stupid if it is truly ruining your enjoyment of life. The other important point is that you are not alone! Many people believe they are the only sufferer even with the most popular phobias. We all have fears, but if the fear is preventing you from doing an activity, you should seek help. A characteristic of phobias is that it can spread into other phobias. Children can also “learn” fears from their parents. So if your mother hated going in lifts, the likelihood of you developing a fear of lifts will increase as well.

So I encourage you now to face your fear and challenge it. Fear hates change, laughter and losing. So stand up and say over and over to yourself:
“I am no longer going to tolerate this fear! I can and will stop it by the power of my own thoughts. I created it in my mind and I will stop it now with my own mind.”
Please feel free to call Marygrace on 07931 54 74 14 to discuss your situation. Alternatively, you can her an email with any questions you may have to mghypnosis@aol.com or you can visit the MG Hypnosis website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to leave a comment, you can do so here. All comments are moderated.